For sale is a 1955 Thunderbirdthat has spent the last 5 years undergoing a frame off restoration. This is arare 1955 manual transmission car. Most Thunderbirds were produced with anautomatic transmission and only a small fraction with a manual. If you are inthe market for a Thunderbird, there is no comparison between the excitement ofdriving a stick vs the sluggish automatic. The cars current condition is 95%complete and is running and driving with approx. 100 test miles on the newmotor and drivetrain. This car gets attention everywhere it goes. The previousowner of this car was a Ford employee who owned the car for approx.. 40 years beforeI purchased it. I have had priorities change in my life and am looking to passthe car onto its next owner. I do not need the money and am in no rush to sellit. I no longer have time to enjoy it and hate to see it sit.
During restoration the body was completelyremoved, the undercarriage, floor pans, trunk and engine bay were stripped tobare metal, sealed, primed and painted. Aerospace grade heat resistive undercoatingwas used to reduce cabin temperatures and dynomat sound deadening added to theinterior. First generation Thunderbirdsare known to have hot cabins due to the proximity of the mufflers and floorpans.
Below I tried to list all of thenew and restored components. I have a stack of receipts hidden from my wifewhich will go to the new owner.
- Rebuilt with all new internals Ford Y-Block motorbored .60 over
- High air flow G series y block cylinder heads
- New electronic ignition
- New Holley classic style 4160 carb
- New 3 speed transmission with overdrive upgrade.
- New clutch
- New throw out barring
- New custom driveshaft
- New aluminum radiator
- New rubber hoses
Frame and suspension
- A new frame was sourced, stripped, inspected, andpainted.
- All suspension components were stripped, painted, andreassembled.
- New bushings, rubber, ball joints, control arm ends,and shocks.
- New body mounts
- The brakes have been upgraded to power brakes with anew booster
- Dual master cylinder has been installed to replacethe single for safety.
- Both front and rear brakes have been completelyrebuilt
- New drums purchased for the rear. The front drumswere recently serviced.
- New stainless-steel brakes lines were installed frontto back.
- All flexible hoses replaced with new ones.
- New brake cylinders and pads all the way around.
- New emergency brake cable.
- A new fuel tank was installed
- New fuel lines.
- New glass bowl fuel filter (Ford correct),
- New fuel pump
- New fuel sending unit
- New dual exhaust pipes front to back
- New mufflers
- New exhaust gaskets
- New rubber exhausthangers.
- The dashboard was completely disassembled strippedand painted,
- All new wiring harness installed
- New light bulbs,
- New lenses for the gauges installed,
- Gauge needles replaced or repainted,
- Tachometer updated to electronic
- New dash cover installed
- New wiring harness front to back.
- New custom 15in steering wheel made for addedlegroom. It looks identical to a 55 just shrunk by 3 inches. I also have theoriginal 55 wheel included in sale.
- 4 new 2 5/8 white wall tires.
There is not much on the car thatis not brand new or rebuilt at this point. The next thing I was planning this fallwas a fresh coat of paint however the existing paint is still very presentable.I would say it is a good 10 foot paint job but shows scratches and blemishedfrom the respiration process.
I currently have hundreds ofrestoration photos, and a file of receipts that will also go with the car to whoeverpurchases it.
Overall the car runs great and get attention everywhere it goes. It starts on the first key turn and sounds great. Do not let this opportunity pass you by. The car comes with several boxes of both spare and newparts.
More info: Listing has ended. Click to search on eBay for similar 1955 Ford Thunderbird (Affiliate link)
Seller's other items: motorhead99
Location: Fortville, Indiana, United States